LoveReading View on King Coo - The Curse of the Mummy's Gold
Brilliantly funny, madcap illustrated adventures
June 2019 Book of the Month
Kids who like their adventures wild, funny and full of the unexpected will love Adam Stower’s King Coo stories. Starring ordinary schoolboy Ben and his best friend, the totally extraordinary Coo, a bearded girl who lives a secret life with her wombat Herbert in some woods near Ben’s home, they are a brilliant mix of action, invention and jokes of all kinds – verbal, visual, slapstick. This escapade sees the two friends thwart a band of thieves who are intent on stealing priceless golden artefacts from the local museum. For all the zaniness, the plot makes perfect sense and Stower’s excellent illustrations move it along at pace.
One to recommend to fans of Tom Gates or Timmy Failure.
King Coo - The Curse of the Mummy's Gold Synopsis
The highly anticipated second book following the adventures of King Coo, Ben Pole and a wombat called Herbert.
King Coo - The Curse of the Mummy's Gold Reader Reviews
Some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel members were lucky enough to read and review the first King Coo story. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Eleanor McIntosh, age 10 from Red Maid’s Junior School - 'An amazing and fun book! I can't wait to read more!'
- Ollie Hopwood, aged 7 and Toby Hopwood, aged 5 - 'King Coo taps into every fantasy my children have, with a mysterious forest filled with amazing treehouses, water slides into pools, mischievous characters, and even a friendly wombat. '
- Erica Motoc, age 11 - 'It is hilarious with the way King Coo does things, really the quality of a good book. Did I mention the PHENOMENAL illustrations? I highly recommend this book.'
- Prisha Yadav, aged 7 - 'I would recommend this book to everyone. I enjoyed reading this book as the story was amazing. I like the expressive pictures with some interesting information.'
- Oscar Smith, age 9 - 'I would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of funny books.'
- Lila Arbell, age 9 - 'The illustrations are completely part of the story, a bit like the Ottoline series by Chris Riddell.'
- Robyn Chorley, age 8 - 'King Coo was brilliant. I really liked it because it was exciting and mysterious.'
- Annabelle Cassidy, age 8 - 'This is a really funny book that made me laugh out loud, and want to tell all of my friends about it.'
- Ellen Cox, age 10 - 'This was the best book I have every read. King Coo is an excellent book that everyone will enjoy.'
- Noah Scott-Sentance, age 10 - 'I thought it was really funny!'
- Ellen Hall, age 7 - 'I loved this book from the start to the end.'
- Toby Little, age 9 - 'Through the whole book, I never knew what was going to happen next, and the illustrations were really good.'
- Adam and Lilia, age 8 ½ - 'You should read this book because the words and images together create a really enjoyable story.'
- Edward Simmons, age 7 - 'I love King Coo and Ben Pole the most. I enjoyed all the illustrations, especially the full pages telling you about each character.'
- Abbie, age 9 - Baring Primary School - 'King Coo is a very crazy, good book because, well it’s just interesting and a very shiny book – it’s a gold book.'
- Elsa, age 9 - Baring Primary School - 'It might be short, but it’s funny! Plus, it makes you want to read on! You better buy it, or you’re missing out!'
- Naysa, age 9 - Baring Primary School - 'King Coo is a hilarious book. If you read it, it will be very, very interesting and you won’t want to stop.'
We also had a number of reviews from year 5&6 students from Tilston School. Here is a small selection of their review but please do click here to read all of their full reviews.
- Cara M - 'King Coo is an amazing well planned book with intriguing events.'
- Jack H - 'it is just such an amazing book.'
- Theo - 'King Coo is a wonderful, entertaining book full of unexpected twists and turns.'
- Louis - 'I really like the book because it’s crazy and full of fun, the ideas are incredibly creative and the illustrations are very well made.'
- Jasmine - 'King Coo is literally the best book I have ever read!'
- Harvey - 'it just is the best book ever.'
- Ollie J - 'King Coo is so crazy.'
- Emily S - 'amazing!'
- Grace W - 'an intriguing, fantastic book.'
- Alex - 'it is a great book and it makes you laugh.'
- Mya J - 'it is full of happy stuff'
- Josh D - 'I liked the way it was set, and the book had strong vocabulary.'
- Joseph - 'It is an exciting book (judging by the sample) ideal for Tom Gates or Goosebumps fans and I would recommend this book to a friend.'
King Coo - The Curse of the Mummy's Gold Press Reviews
'A FUNNY fabulous, furry adventure. READ IT!' Liz Pichon
Praise for King Coo:
'A charming romp' Metro
'Funny, imaginative story' The Times
'Adam Stower's hilarious story is beautifully presented' Julia Eccleshare, LoveReading4Kids